Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research: "cheating in online games"

Thanks

Default Research: "cheating in online games"

Dear gamers,

I'm a student from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven). At this moment, I'm doing research on cheating in online games for my Master's degree in Communications.

To get my results, I made a web survey to get to know the motives from the cheaters. I really want to find as much cheaters as possible to fill out my web survey. It is totally anonymous and neither e-mail nor names are asked. The survey will only take about 5 or 10 minutes of your time. Note this: it is not my intention to pass any judgement on the use of cheats.

Iím only looking for players that have used or are using cheats in online games, particularly in MMORPGs, online First-Person Shooters and/or online Real-Time Strategy games. So Iím only looking for cheaters in one or more games of these three genres.

You can find the web survey via this link: http://soc.kuleuven.be/limesurveytes....php?sid=67177

Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards,

Ventage

Thanks

ill make it so simple every other cheater and yourself can understand it
    CHEATERS ALWAYS WIN
    now take that phrase and understand it, don't get it yet?
    key word their is *WIN*, if its not for winning then its for watching people bitch and complain i find it quite funny to watch somebody QQ over it

theirs other reasons but i say this is the first reason and second for most reasons
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

only reason why i cheat is to lol,when ppl tell me to die / get cancer, and i know ive won (WHICH NEVER FAILS) when i clear servers!
    cheaters always win

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 802 Posts

Another reason : being able to modify the game (customize textures, models, etc) and having fun.
    ~ ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murder4higher View Post
    CHEATERS ALWAYS WIN
    key word their is *WIN*, if its not for winning then its for watching people bitch and complain i find it quite funny to watch somebody QQ over it

theirs other reasons but i say this is the first reason and second for most reasons
    True .
    But I needed some evidence to back up that statement. That's why I made this survey.

Thanks

dude i just raged a cod4 server was 17 players got reduced to 3 haha , if i can ill upload to youtube the whole length and then youll have evidence why

Thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ventage View Post
    But I needed some evidence to back up that statement. That's why I made this survey.
    dont think youll get many people going there, could be some malicious attempt whatever are your intentions.
    ~ ~

Thanks

yeah i didnt try, thats why im posting my thoughts here, just to be safe. gl with whatever your trying though

Thanks

I understand your concern.
    I don't really know how i can convince you of my good intentions. I'm just a student who hapenned to chose one of the most difficult subjects for a thesis ever. Cheaters are really hard to contact .

Thanks

Lightbulb

I dont see the link between a Master's degree in Communications and cheating in online gaming.
    ~ ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murder4higher View Post
    CHEATERS ALWAYS WIN

that pretty much sums it up some may say, its to make up differences in skill, or cpu inferiority, ping rape, etc.... however, I think M4H hit the nail on the head for probably 90% of peeps. As stated, there may be some other reasons, but these are the major reasons. The simple answer is, cause I can

Thanks
    Thanked 4,294,967,295 Times in 4,294,967,295 Posts

I understand your concern.
    I don't really know how i can convince you of my good intentions. I'm just a student who hapenned to chose one of the most difficult subjects for a thesis ever. Cheaters are really hard to contact .

ive thought about such a survey several times. but never did sth because i was afraid i wouldnt like the truth
    not everyone here (and there) is like "omfg i raped them i am the greatest ever in history".
    at least i am not
    maybe because i do development myself.

and ofc i fill your forms

Thanks

okay i done it to.
    hope you get the information you needed

Thanks

Reason why i cheat? easy , Cuz i like to make chaos , and piss peeps of !

Edit : I did the survey
    Last edited by SwedishPunk; 22nd April 2010 at 18:56. Reason: Added more text

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolzoruslockus View Post
    I dont see the link between a Master's degree in Communications and cheating in online gaming.
    Well, games are becoming a big part of the popular culture of these days, so scholars should do research on it.
    Every part of games and it's culture is important. Not much research has been done on cheating in online games (only one big by Mia Consalvo). Though, it's inherent for the gaming culture and these days also for online games. A lot of gamers are using cheats and a lot of gamers, those who don't use it, get frustrated by it. So it touches about every gamer.

That sums up the reason for doing this research on cheating in online games.

Thanks

Well, games are becoming a big part of the popular culture of these days, so scholars should do research on it.
    Every part of games and it's culture is important. Not much research has been done on cheating in online games (only one big by Mia Consalvo). Though, it's inherent for the gaming culture and these days also for online games. A lot of gamers are using cheats and a lot of gamers, those who don't use it, get frustrated by it. So it touches about every gamer.

That sums up the reason for doing this research on cheating in online games.
    lol i understand the point the impact of doing a research @ cheating in life in general (not only games), was just wondering with the Masters degree in Communication -> gaming is not really linked to the communication business nor the communication between people or just being virtual.
    I dont judge, just wondering. Also interesting if we ask cheaters if they try to cheat in life too or just in games.
    ~ ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolzoruslockus View Post
    lol i understand the point the impact of doing a research @ cheating in life in general (not only games), was just wondering with the Masters degree in Communication -> gaming is not really linked to the communication business nor the communication between people or just being virtual.
    I dont judge, just wondering. Also interesting if we ask cheaters if they try to cheat in life too or just in games.
    Indeed. Very interesting to find that out. I hope I can proceed with my research on this topic next year. Would be great!

Yeah, Communication is really broad at our faculty. I get courses about the music business, game business, ICT ... Loads of different things. So games are part of it;

Thanks

Its just awesome for the lol factor. Nothing is funnier than hearing other people whining about how bad you're hacking their face off. I'll gladly take the take and fill forms.

Thanks

I most the time play humanized when i did or used to.. anyhow adjust the bot so it fucks shit up so bad that people trip out when they spectate you it looks completely human and they drool all over your nuts

funny to trip people out cheating is more out of getting a reaction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thelulz View Post
    Its just awesome for the lol factor. Nothing is funnier than hearing other people whining about how bad you're hacking their face off. I'll gladly take the take and fill forms.
    I heard that reason too in my interviews.
    It's the same in real life: some people just like to piss off other people. At least, I do .

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
    I most the time play humanized when i did or used to.. anyhow adjust the bot so it fucks shit up so bad that people trip out when they spectate you it looks completely human and they drool all over your nuts

funny to trip people out cheating is more out of getting a reaction.
    Almost every cheater I talked too likes to play it humanized. They say they love it when people talk about their skill, whilst they are actually cheating.

Thank you to all of you!

Thanks

Welllllll.... What i like to do it FULL OUT RAGE!!! They way i see it... If you cheat then do it right and dont try to hide it... I love it when you clean out a server and have everyone moaning like fuck at you!

Its just my opinion and my way of thinking and i know that other people all have a different opinion so its all good.

Chop!
    [nC] ChOpSuEy

The Peoples Communist Republic Of England
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChOpSuEy View Post
    Welllllll.... What i like to do it FULL OUT RAGE!!! They way i see it... If you cheat then do it right and dont try to hide it... I love it when you clean out a server and have everyone moaning like fuck at you!

Chop!
    My attitude exactly hence my gaming name of 'iCHEAT'

I couldn't give a fuck what people think, I enjoy it , no in fact I Fuckin Love It !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Intel i7 960 @ 3.820GHz CPU
    Asus P6X58D Premium Mobo
    2 x Asus ATi Radeon 'EAH' HD5870's GPU
    12 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    Coolit Domino - Advanced Liquid Cooling Unit
    Everest 1010 Watt PSU
    Logitech G19 Gaming keyboard

Thanks

But aren't you guys "scared" to get banned?
    I have never used any private hacks, so I don't know how big the risk of getting caught is.

Thanks

It's the kick of not getting banned or else get back and fuck them even more
    So no, i'm never scared.

Thanks

With good quality hacks like netcoders ones getting banned is pretty rare since people who play in leagues/clan match etc knows how to hide his hack and detections only happen when some leaker leak files to public and pb get their hands on those. But as said if you cheat you can't be 100% sure being without getting caught. I know few ppl who been playing on clanbase match and other cups for now 3 years without getting caught even single time or getting accoused being cheater. So with good 'tools' you can play hidden pretty long just need patience and real skills on game.
    Code:
    One human cell contains 75MB genetic info. One sperm contains a half of that; that's 37.5MB. One ml of semen contains 100m sperms. Average, ejaculation lasts for 5sec and contains 2.25 ml semen. So throughput of a manís member is equal to (37.5MB x 100,000,000 x 2.25)/5 =1,6875 Тerabyte/sec This means that the female eggcell withstands this DDoS attack at 1,6 terabyte per second, and only lets through one(!) data package, thereby being the best hardware firewall in the world!

Sorry for being...
    I cant nothin for that

Thanks

Ok, thank you for your replies.
    I'm kind of new to this scene, so I want to know all about it.

Thanks

Well get detailed questions about this area wich is pretty big and come back with those and im sure pretty many will Tove answers to you
    Code:
    One human cell contains 75MB genetic info. One sperm contains a half of that; that's 37.5MB. One ml of semen contains 100m sperms. Average, ejaculation lasts for 5sec and contains 2.25 ml semen. So throughput of a manís member is equal to (37.5MB x 100,000,000 x 2.25)/5 =1,6875 Тerabyte/sec This means that the female eggcell withstands this DDoS attack at 1,6 terabyte per second, and only lets through one(!) data package, thereby being the best hardware firewall in the world!

Sorry for being...
    I cant nothin for that

Thanks

so many question but such little time in a day lol we've all ben their m8, were all open to answer your questions dont be shy about asken m8 :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

I have never used any private hacks, so I don't know how big the risk of getting caught is.

Well in my 5 years of cheating i have NEVER and i mean NEVER been banned!! Yeah i have been banned for certain servers but have always got around that but never have i been caught by Punkbuster or any other Anti Cheat system period! If the hacks are used in the way they are meant to me be used and no mistakes have been made then it is very possible to be and stay undetected!

Soooo to sum it all up... No... I am not scared of getting caught or banned!

Chop!
    [nC] ChOpSuEy

Thanks

Thank you for your reactions!
    And thank you for completing the survey!

Do you guys think there is a profile that fits the common cheater?
    Or are they less or more the same as every normal gamer?

Thanks

honestly.i play in the normal gamer field where there are legit players and humanised players...however ive found out that 90% of the time decent legit players are huge faggots but about 90% of hackers that hide the obviousness are quite cool people...so in general cheaters are always more fun to play with and more fun to talk to and a normal hardcore gamer is just an idiot

The Peoples Communist Republic Of England
    Thanks

Scared ???? Its a game lol, not the Bailiffs coming to take your home or car from you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Intel i7 960 @ 3.820GHz CPU
    Asus P6X58D Premium Mobo
    2 x Asus ATi Radeon 'EAH' HD5870's GPU
    12 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    Coolit Domino - Advanced Liquid Cooling Unit
    Everest 1010 Watt PSU
    Logitech G19 Gaming keyboard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n3wb View Post
    honestly.i play in the normal gamer field where there are legit players and humanised players...however ive found out that 90% of the time decent legit players are huge faggots but about 90% of hackers that hide the obviousness are quite cool people...so in general cheaters are always more fun to play with and more fun to talk to and a normal hardcore gamer is just an idiot
    Whilst it might be a broad generalisation, it's true in some cases. A lot of people I've met or talked to on nC or other cheating communities (regular posters or someone that holds a position within the community, so basically anyone apart from the leeching scrubs) seem pretty cool - quite a lot of the normal players I've met have been quite ragey and annoying, however I guess you could also say that our perception on cheaters and anti-cheaters is quite warped due to the fact we interact with peers within our community quite a lot, whereas we only see the "angry kid" side of anti-cheaters when they get owned by a cheater. On occasions I've met cheaters who've been complete assholes and anti-cheaters that are cool as hell, it's just more of what the type of person they are and their maturity level.

When exploring the behaviour of a cheater and what makes them "tick" you can't just generalise - like every community, there is a great deal of diversity. Each person does it for a different reason and everyone cheats in a different way. I personally (back when I cheated) only played "rage-mode" on cheat servers where it was fair game - on non-cheat servers I would play humanised because I'd kinda feel guilty for ruining other people's experiences. Some like the thrill of seeing if they'll get caught or not; others just plainly love "owning the meat" - again, all down to personal preference.

Would people be more likely to cheat IRL if cheat on games? No, I don't think so at least. Anyone has the potential to cheat at things - cheating in a game doesn't really mean anything. Is there any personal gain in cheating in an FPS? No. Well, yes technically, but you have to be really good anyway to hide it, so the cheat becomes semi-redundant at such high levels anyway. Majority of people here and any other cheat community will at most join a med+ team in CB or something - it means nothing and doesn't pay any dividends - it's just another form of recreation. We all have a good sense of morals and know when cheating is "wrong" to be honest. Let's take an example where you are taking an important life-altering test - an opportunity presents itself to allow you to cheat - whilst tempting, I don't think the majority of people would actually do it because morally it's wrong. Those who do go ahead will feel guilty about doing it and living with guilt is something very few people can do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WaLLHacK View Post
    Scared ???? Its a game lol, not the Bailiffs coming to take your home or car from you.
    I think what he meant by that was that if you get banned from all servers, or subnet banned from all servers.

Then you wasted $$$ to get the private hack, let alone never being able to play the game again...

That's why i use proxy servers whenever i connect to a server i am going to rage because if i get banned then i can still come back with my normal IP Address.

Thanks

in the case of wolf:ET if your subnet banned or ip banned its very easy to redo all that and get a new ip and new subnet but it also depends on your isp if they are giving you a static ip or dynamic ip.
    but me i honestly dont care ill join and rage wtih my normal ip.

but other games that have like a ID or cdkey or stuff like that ,then its a hole new story ill spoof every last thing i have *besides the cdkey lol* cant really spoof that if you could then hell lol im all ears

but i cant speak for all cheaters if they are scared or not, but me idc about getting a ban lol ill i have a .txt on how many times i've ben pbbanned and subnet banned and ip banned
    not tryin to sound like a prick or nothing , i just type it as it is lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast